Tonic’s Food Fix looks at foods that help when it comes to your health. Studies have suggested chocolate can help improve feelings of depression, so Nikki Heyder bakes an indulgent chocolate cake with fresh berries – guaranteed to brighten your day.
- Caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of mixed berries
- Canola oil spray
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate buttons
- In a bowl, combine the flour, caster sugar and cocoa.
- Pour in the pre-whisked eggs and milk.
- Melt the butter and chocolate, and pour into the bowl.
- Fold through the berries.
- Spray the baking tray with canola oil and line with baking paper.
- Pour the mixture into the tray, gently bang the tray to remove the air bubbles and place in a 175 degree pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
- Place the cooked cake on a tray to cool down.
- Place the chocolate and 1-2 tablespoons of milk in a microwave proof bowl and place in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until the chocolate is melted and is glossy.
- Pour the ganache onto the cooled cake and spread until the entire cake is covered.
- Spoon more mixed berries onto the iced cake to decorate.
Tonic TV |T-S037 I S03E01